If you are stuck in a rut with your lunch options, eating the same sandwich, again and again, we have a wonderful recipe that will change things up! Boasting succulent crispy chicken strips smothered in bbq sauce and crunchy salad veggies and coleslaw, these BBQ Chicken Wraps are one of the tastiest lunch recipes we have to offer! Enjoy warm, or wrap in foil and take it to work, on a hike or on a summer picnic!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Ingredients: What Are Chicken Wraps Made Of?
- chicken: one medium chicken breast will make two bbq wraps. We used boneless, skinless chicken in this recipe.
- cornflour: to coat the chicken and make it crispy. You can skip it if you are looking to enjoy the wraps cold, but if you are serving them immediately, we highly recommend making crispy-coated chicken for these bbq wraps.
- chilli powder: can be substituted with sweet paprika or smoked paprika, if you don’t like any spice in your food.
- BBQ sauce: we used shop-bought bbq sauce, but you can definitely make your own. We absolutely love these BBQ Chicken Wraps with an Asian twist – simply use our Chinese BBQ Sauce (Char Siu). Or try our gluten-free BBQ sauce!
- coleslaw: a shop-bought coleslaw works great in these chicken coleslaw wraps, but if you are making your own, make sure to make it creamy (don’t skimp on mayo as it is what adds moisture to the wrap).
- lettuce: can be replaced with spinach or other favourite leafy greens of yours.
- bell pepper: any colour you want.
- tortilla wraps: we used large white wheat tortilla wraps.
Substitutions for Dietary Requirements
If you have any dietary requirements, it isn’t difficult to substitute a few of the ingredients to suit you. This is a dairy-free recipe as is (just make sure your shop-bought ingredients don’t contain any dairy!).
- VEGETARIAN: substitute chicken for tofu, coat it in cornflour, crisp it up in the pan and enjoy!
- VEGAN: use tofu instead of chicken, make sure your BBQ sauce doesn’t contain any honey or other animal products and make your own coleslaw with vegan mayo.
- LOW-CALORIE BBQ Chicken Wraps can be made by grilling the chicken instead, using low-sugar BBQ sauce and low-fat mayo.
- GLUTEN-FREE: use gluten-free tortilla wraps instead, and make sure your BBQ sauce is celiac friendly.
Cut chicken into thick long strips lengthways.
In a shallow bowl, mix the cornflour and chilli powder. Dretch each chicken strip in the mixture.
Heat a couple of tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Once hot, add the chicken and fry on all sides for 6-7 in total, or until the chicken is fully cooked through and crispy on the outside. Place the cooked chicken strips on a plate, lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
In a separate pan, heat BBQ sauce with a tablespoon of water. Add the chicken and mix just enough to coat.
Brush the centre of each tortilla wrap with a little BBQ sauce left over in the pan with the chicken. Divide the lettuce, coleslaw and bell pepper slices between the tortilla wraps. Then lay chicken strips on top and wrap.
Cut each wrap in half and eat whilst the chicken is still warm, or store in the fridge and enjoy the wraps cold.
What Other Fillings Can I Add?
When it comes to these BBQ Chicken Wraps With Coleslaw, the world is your oyster!
You may choose to add grilled chicken instead of crispy-coated chicken (especially if you are looking to serve these wraps cold).
Add a range of your favourite veggies too (in addition to what’s in the recipe or as a replacement). We think these go particularly well:
- Finely chopped chilli.
Watch How To Make Them
We think these Chicken Wraps with Coleslaw are most delicious served immediately, whilst the chicken is still warm and crispy, however, you can wrap them in foil or cling film and store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. After that, the tortillas get too soggy.
What To Serve With BBQ Chicken Wraps?
Whilst we find that these chicken lettuce wraps are perfectly fine on their own (especially to take on a picnic or a hike), if you want a more substantial lunch, add a little something extra, like:
- French fries.
- Courgette Ribbon Salad.
- Creamy Corn Salad with Courgette.
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes.
Other Recipe FAQs
One BBQ Chicken Wrap with Coleslaw and Lettuce contains 318 kcal and 28 g of protein. For more nutritional information, have a look at the approximate values at the bottom of the recipe card below.
If you want to enjoy your wraps cold, they can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
Other Delicious Sandwiches, Wraps and Paninis
- Indian Fajitas with Chicken and Mint & Coriander Mayo
- Classic Chicken Mayo Sandwich
- Coronation Chickpea Sandwich (Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich)
- Aubergine & Halloumi Panini | The Best Vegetarian Grilled Sandwich
Irresistable BBQ Chicken Wraps
- 1 chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 tablespoon bbq sauce + 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoon coleslaw
- 4 lettuce leaves shredded
- ½ bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 wheat tortilla wraps large
- Cut chicken into thick long strips lengthways.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the cornflour and chilli powder. Drech each chicken strip in the mixture.
- Heat a couple of tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Once hot, add the chicken and fry on all sides for 6-7 in total, or until the chicken is fully cooked through and crispy on the outside. Place the cooked chicken strips on a plate, lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- In a separate pan, heat BBQ sauce with a tablespoon of water. Add the chicken and mix just enough to coat.
- Brush the centre of each tortilla wrap with a little BBQ sauce left over in the pan with the chicken. Divide the lettuce, coleslaw and bell pepper slices between the tortilla wraps. Then lay chicken strips on top and wrap.
- Cut each wrap in half and eat whilst the chicken is still warm, or store in the fridge and enjoy the wraps cold.