A cross between a good old porridge and a flapjack, our Vegan Blueberry Baked Oats is a one-pot breakfast recipe that feels both effortless and special at the same time. Creamy oats sweetened with maple syrup and bursting blueberries are made even better cooked with coconut yogurt! A wonderful dairy- and refined-sugar-free breakfast that will provide a great break from your usual cereal!
There’s always some kind of food trend involving oats going on. I always wondered how many different ways there will be to cook something as simple as oats. First, there was porridge and muesli. Then, when I was a child, granola became extremely popular. And of course, the oaty breakfast muffins. More recently, overnight oats started trending. And for the last couple of years it’s been all about BAKED OATS. We complied and our favourite is the traditional oat and blueberry combination.
This recipe is 100% plant-based. But if you’re not following a vegan diet, you can always use traditional yogurt and honey instead of maple syrup. Using gluten-free oats and baking powder makes this recipe celiac-friendly as well.
Baked oats are great! You can throw in any fruit or berries, flavour it with various nectars, syrups or molasses or peanut butter. It only takes 5 minutes (if that) to prepare, so it’s a perfect breakfast for a lazy morning!
Before you start making your oat mix, preheat the oven to 170°C Fan. In a bowl, mix the porridge oats with 90 ml (about 6 tbsp) boiling water. Add the yogurt, blueberries (or any other fruit or berries), baking powder and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Adding baking powder to baked oats makes your oats less stodgy and lighter, as they rise in the oven slightly.
Pour the mixture into a small ovenproof dish (this one is perfect for two) or divide between two individual ramekins. Then bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with extra blueberries and yogurt if you like. Enjoy!
For other breakfast ideas, have a look at:
Blueberry Baked Oats
- Small Ovenproof Dish or Individual Ramekins
- 100 g porridge oats + 90ml of boiling water
- 120 g dairy-free yogurt, we used coconut plus extra to serve
- 100 g blueberries plus extra to serve
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave or date syrup/ molasses
- Preheat the oven to 170°C Fan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the porridge oats with boiling water. Add the yogurt, blueberries, baking powder and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a small ovenproof dish or divide between two individual ramekins. Then bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with extra blueberries and yogurt if you like. Enjoy!