If we are not eating sourdough bread with our soup, we are definitely eating Cheese Scones. Cheesy, fluffy and with slight chilli heat, these savoury scones are brilliant as an accompaniment for soups, salads, or as a simple snack!
When there isn’t time to make bread, but you need something to make your meal more substantial, or simply need a good savoury snack, cheese scones are definitely a saviour. These only take about 25 minutes from start to finish and taste great!
How to Make Cheese Scones?
Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan. To make these Cheddar Cheese Scones, you need to mix 110g of plain flour with 0.5 tsp of chilli powder and 1.5 tsp of baking soda. Alternatively, you can use self-raising flour and add 0.5 tsp of baking powder.
Have your butter at room temperature. I tend to use salted butter, but if you only have unsalted, then remember to add a pinch of salt to make sure your Cheese Scones are seasoned right.
Cube your butter and rub into flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Set aside whilst you grate your cheddar. You can grate your cheese finely or coarsely but here’s the thing: if you like to see the melted cheese strings when you bite into your scone, grate it coarsely.
Mix in the grated cheese (set a bit aside for sprinkling on top) and add milk. Add 40ml and then keep adding more if you need. The dough should come together in a ball, but shouldn’t be sticky. Press with your hand into a 2.5-3cm tick circle (or use a rolling pin).
I use a 6cm round cutter for my scones. This makes 4-5 scones depending on the thickness. Perfect amount for 2 people to go with soup.
Place your Cheese Scones on a baking paper-lined tray. Then glaze the tops with a bit of milk and sprinkle the tops with the saved cheddar.
Bake for 12-15 minutes in the middle of the oven until risen, and golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving. However, these Cheese Scones are best served on the same day, ideally whilst still warm.
Serve these Cheese Scones with our Courgette & Cheddar Soup for an ultimate Cheddar Feast.
Fluffy Cheddar Cheese Scones
- 110 g pain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 25 g butter salted, room temperature
- 60 g cheddar mature or extra mature
- 45-50 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan. Mix plain flour with baking powder and chilli powder.
- Cube your room temperature butter and rub into the flour mixture with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Grate the cheese and set some aside for sprinkling on top of your scones. Mix the rest in with the flour mixture.
- Add milk (start by adding 40ml and add extra if you need) and bring it into a cohesive ball (ingredients need to come together but you don't want the dough sticky).
- Flatten it to a thick circle (2.5cm thick) and cut out 4-5 scones using a cutter (we used 6cm cutter). Place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Glaze the tops of your cheese scones with some milk and sprinkle the saved cheddar.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.