The easiest most delicious creamy treat that you can make in under 10 minutes for your everyday after-dinner dessert needs! Make these Coconut Yogurt delights in lovely martini glasses and you have yourself an impressive looking dessert for your dinner party!
With only four core ingredients, it’s a light, easy and quick dessert. Feasting to the max during the festive period, this fresh dessert offers a lighter option after a big meal. And you can use any tinned fruit you have in your cupboard. Top it with fresh fruit and it’s perfect for summer barbeques in your garden!
This recipe requires creamed coconut. Don’t confuse it with coconut cream or coconut milk though – they have completely different textures. Creamed coconut normally comes compressed into a block shape or small (50g) sachets. We typically find this in the international food isles in the Thai or Chinese sections. Roughly chop 70g of it. Normally, when you buy a block of it, it has coconut oil set on one of the sides. Don’t use that side. Use the part of it that doesn’t have any coconut oil or at least not much of it. Pop into a small saucepan with 50ml of boiling water. On low heat, stir until creamed coconut dissolves and thickens slightly, then take off the heat and leave to cool.
We use full-fat Greek yogurt, but you don’t have to. There are plenty of great low-fat options these days that have a thicker, creamier texture. And that’s exactly what this dessert needs, a yogurt that ISN’T thin and runny. Spoon your yogurt into a mixing bowl. Then sift in icing sugar and mix well.
When the coconut mixture has cooled down, mix it in with the yogurt. The mixture will look creamy but won’t be completely smooth because of the coconut. Spoon into four glasses. You can now place them in the fridge to chill until you’re ready to serve.
When ready, chop your fruit into small pieces (or open a couple of tins of fruit). You can use one or more different fruit, whatever you feel goes well with coconut flavour. We like to use, fresh kiwi, banana or mango, tinned peaches, pineapples or mandarin segments. Any tropical fruit works! Top your Coconut Yogurt Pots with chopped fruit and serve immediately!
If you have creamed coconut left, try our Vegan Pineapple Stir Fry with Curried Coconut Sauce. You won’t be disappointed!
Coconut Yogurt Dessert
- 70 g creamed coconut from a block or a sachet (not tin)
- 50 ml boiling water
- 500 ml Greek Yogurt full-fat thick and creamy kind
- 80 g icing sugar
- 1/2 tin of mandarin segments
- 1/2 tin of pineapple chunks
- Roughly chop your creamed coconut. Tip it into a small saucepan and mix with 50ml of boiling water. On low heat, stir until creamed coconut dissolves and thickens slightly. Then, take off the heat and leave to cool down.
- In the meantime, sift icing sugar into Greek yogurt and mix well.
- When cooled, fold the coconut mixture into the yogurt. Spoon into four glasses. Place in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
- Top with drained tinned fruit (or use fresh fruit if you wish) and serve immediately.