Courgette and Potato Soup is the ultimate way to use up the abundance of courgettes in your garden! Not only is it easy to make and delicious to eat but certainly looks impressive when decorated with Cheddar Crisps! Serve this delicious Courgette Potato Soup with crusty Sourdough bread for a delicious weekend lunch!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Beauty of Courgettes
Courgette season is one of my favourites. When they first start blossoming and you go out in the garden every day to check if you can start harvesting. And cooking. But then they just keep coming, and, I don’t know, about you, but I find myself looking for new ways to use up some of those courgettes. Rather low in calories, courgettes offer great taste and a lot of health benefits, so you shouldn’t feel too bad about the amount of cheese in this recipe…
How To Serve Courgette and Potato Soup?
This courgette soup is a very simple dish that’s great for a quick lunch. However, it can also look and taste extremely majestic should you wish to impress your guests. Serve a smaller portion of this Courgette Soup with Cheddar Crisps and a small slice of toasted homemade Sourdough Bread as a starter at your dinner party. Even the fanciest guests will be impressed with the crisps, unaware of how easy they are to make.
STEP 1: Make the Soup
Start by peeling and slicing your potatoes into thick slices. Cut your peeled onions into thin wedges. Boil a kettle. Tip everything into a large pan, crumble a stock cube over your vegetables and pour just enough water to cover them all.
Once boiling, cook on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes until potatoes start to soften. In the meantime, top and tail and chop up your courgettes into bite-size cubes. Add them to the par-boiled vegetables and cook with a lid on, for a further 10 minutes. Your vegetables should be soft, but the courgette should still have a bright green colour.
After 10 minutes of adding the courgettes, your vegetables should be ready to blend. Add half of the reserved cheddar and a pinch of nutmeg. Now blend in a liquidiser or with a stick blender until smooth.
Return to the pan to warm through again and taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if you wish.
How to make Cheddar Crisps for your Courgette Soup?
Preheat your oven to 220C Fan. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Whilst courgettes are cooking, coarsely grate all 150g of cheddar. Put 100g of the grated cheese aside. The other 50g we will use to make our crisps.
Form 8 blobs of cheddar cheese on a lined baking sheet, about 1 level tablespoon each. Spread each of them out into a thin even layer, making sure there’s at least a 2 cm gap in between them. Sprinkle your Cheddar Crisps with a little chilli powder or paprika. Don’t use too much of it though. The spices here are more for the colour rather than flavour. We don’t want anything that will overpower delicate courgettes.
Put your Cheddar Crisps in the centre of the preheated oven and cook for around 5-6 minutes. Keep an eye on them and don’t let them brown too much or else they’ll taste bitter. But you want them cooked enough to be crisp and not bend when lifted up. This part may need a bit of experimentation, as every oven seems to be different.
Once cooked, take the crisps out of the oven and set them aside for a minute to firm up. Then transfer onto a plate/ board to prevent further cooking.
Divide the soup between four bowls, sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and add 2 crisps per bowl to decorate. Serve with bread.
What To Serve With Courgette Soup?
As with any soup, some lovely bread is a welcome sidekick to this delicious courgette soup. We think it goes beautifully with:
Other Delicious Soup Recipes
If you are looking for inspiration for other soups that are perfect for quick weekend lunch, why not try some of our other delicious soup recipes below:
- Creamy Mushroom & Blue Cheese Soup
- Pea & Broccoli Soup
- The Creamiest Vegan Cauliflower & Almond Soup
- Delicious Sweet Corn Soup (Vegan)
Courgette and Potato Soup with Cheese Crisps
- Stick Blender or Liquidiser
For the Soup:
- 300 g potatoes peeled and tickly sliced
- 2 small brown onions cut into wedges
- 1 stock cube
- 500 g courgette cubed
- 100 g cheddar grated
- pinch of nutmeg
For the Cheddar Crisps:
- 50 g cheddar grated
- pinch of chilli powder
To make the Soup:
- Put your potatoes and onions in a large pan, crumble in a stock cube and pour just enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil and then cook for 8 minutes.
- Add cubed courgettes, cover with a lid and cook for another 10 minutes until vegetables are soft, but courgettes still retain fresh green colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add 50g of cheddar and a pinch of nutmeg. Then blend into a smooth soup using a liquidiser, food processor or stick blender.
- Serve with the remaining cheddar and two cheddar crisps on top.
To Make Cheddar Crisps:
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C Fan. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Coarsely grate 50g of Cheddar and from 8 mounts of cheddar on your baking sheet, spreading each into a thin even layer. Make sure you leave at least 2 cm space in between your crisps.
- Put them on the middle shelf of the oven for around 5-6 minutes, but keep an eye on them to make sure they don't colour too much or burn.
Leave a Reply