Introducing the Dill Creme Fraiche Sauce – a perfect companion for salmon and more… Based on the culinary genius of Nigella Lawson, we present to you the exquisite Dill Crème Fraiche Sauce, specially crafted to accompany succulent salmon and create memorable dining experiences. With its smooth and creamy texture, this sauce is an absolute must-have, adding a burst of fresh flavours and a touch of decadence to your favourite fish dishes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
What To Serve Dill Creme Fraiche Sauce With?
This Dill Creme Fraiche Sauce was first crafted to go with salmon. All types of salmon! Serve it on the side of Lemon Butter Baked Salmon or Dukkah Crusted Salmon or try it with our Baked Mayo Salmon recipe.
It is also a brilliant sauce to stuff into Pita Bread with Avocado and Salmon (either baked or hot-smoked salmon).
Or use this Dill Creme Fraiche For Smoked Salmon Canapes – simply spread it on blinis, baguette slices or crustless bread, and top with smoked salmon and small lemon slices. Delicious!
While the sauce pairs exceptionally well with salmon, don’t limit yourself! Experiment with different types of fish or try it as a delightful accompaniment to other great meals like poached chicken or grilled vegetables.
Ingredients and Substitutes
You will only need 5 simple ingredients for this deliciously creamy dill sauce:
- creme fraiche: we highly recommend using full-fat creme fraiche for best results. But reduced-fat or sour cream will work too.
- Dijon mustard: could be replaced with ½ the amount of English mustard.
- white wine vinegar: can be replaced with cider vinegar or rice vinegar. You may also use lemon juice instead of vinegar.
- light brown sugar: use caster sugar instead, if that’s what you have at home.
- fresh dill, finely chopped: could be substituted with frozen or even dried dill.
- sea salt (kosher salt) and black pepper, to season.
Chop the dill very finely. Then mix all the Dill Creme Fraiche Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix for a while to help the brown sugar dissolve. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. That’s it! Your creamy dill sauce is ready!
Tips & Tricks For The Best Dill Crème Fraîche
- Use full-fat creme fraiche for the creamiest sauce.
- Fresh dill works best in this recipe. Frozen dill would be the next best choice. But if you must, use dried dill.
- When using fresh dill, ensure that it is finely chopped or minced to evenly distribute its flavours throughout the sauce. This will maximize the herb’s aromatic impact.
- Allow the sauce to chill in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before serving. This will give the flavours a chance to meld together, resulting in a more cohesive and flavorful sauce.
- Experiment with quantities of mustard to arrive at the required flavour. We tend to use the ratio of 1 cup crème fraîche to 3 level tablespoons of Dijon mustard.
- Enhance the visual appeal of your dish by garnishing the sauce with a sprinkle of freshly chopped dill or lemon zest. This adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to your presentation.
- Present the sauce in a small bowl or ramekin on the side of the plate, allowing your guests to drizzle it over their desired portion of salmon or other proteins.
Watch How To Make It
The difference between creme fraiche and sour cream is mainly the fat content. Sour cream also has a slightly tangier flavour. Whilst full-fat creme fraiche makes the creamiest thickest sauce, you can substitute it with low-fat creme fraiche or sour cream.
If you don’t have fresh dill, use frozen dill or dried dill.
Store the prepared sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Alternatively, cover the top of the bowl with the sauce with plastic wrap. This allows you to make the sauce in advance, saving you time when preparing meals.
Other Sauce Recipes For Fish
- Creme Fraiche Sauce For Pasta and Fish
- Homemade Russian Dressing Recipe For Reuben Sandwich
- Chimichurri Mayonnaise (Great With Fish Burgers and Tacos)
- Basil Pistou (Perfect For White Fish)
- Mango Salsa For Salmon
- 4-Ingredient Tartar Sauce
Dill Creme Fraiche Sauce (Perfect With Salmon)
- 300 g creme fraiche full-fat
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- Mix the ingredients in a small bowl for a few minutes to help the brown sugar dissolve.
- Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Store covered in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavours to mend.