Today we have a delightful recipe to share with you. The combination of flavours will surely amuse your taste buds and elevate your meals to a whole new level of deliciousness. Introducing Chimichurri Mayonnaise, a flavour-packed condiment that combines the vibrant essence of fresh herbs with the creamy richness of mayonnaise. So, grab a large bunch of coriander or parsley, and let’s embark on a culinary journey that will bring a burst of freshness and zesty goodness to your favourite dishes that the whole family will enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
But What Is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a traditional South American sauce that originates from Argentina and Uruguay, where it is cherished for its bold flavours and versatility. This vibrant condiment is typically made with a combination of fresh herbs such as coriander or parsley, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and spices. The result is a zesty and herbaceous sauce that boasts a delightful balance of tanginess, earthiness, and a subtle kick.
Chimichurri is incredibly versatile and can be used in various ways, from marinating grilled meats and seafood to dressing up salads, drizzling over roasted vegetables, or even serving as a dipping sauce. Its bright and refreshing taste adds a burst of flavour to any dish, making it a must-have staple in the kitchen for those seeking to elevate their culinary creations. What is more, making a homemade chimichurri sauce is easier than you might think! It only takes 4-5 minutes to make!
What To Use Chimichurri Mayo For?
Chimichurri mayo is a versatile condiment that adds lots of flavour to a wide array of dishes. Let’s explore a few creative ways to incorporate this delectable sauce into your culinary repertoire.
For a mouthwatering twist on turkey burgers, slather a generous dollop of chimichurri mayo onto a perfectly grilled patty. Sandwiched between a toasted sourdough bun, the creamy and tangy flavours of the mayo beautifully complement the juicy turkey, elevating every bite to new heights of deliciousness. What is more, chimichurri mayo is a perfect accompaniment to Halloumi Burgers.
Pairing chimichurri mayo with a side of tempura green beans creates an irresistible combination. Dip the beans into the chimichurri mayo, allowing the creamy sauce to coat each bite, transforming a simple vegetable into a vibrant and flavorful treat.
To enhance the flavours of a classic summer sandwich, spread a layer of chimichurri mayo onto a slice of sourdough bread before adding slices of fresh tomato and arugula.
Lastly, loosen this unique mayonnaise with a drop of water and use it as a salad dressing to add lots of herbaceous flavours to your summer salads!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- coriander (cilantro) or flat leaf parsley: we like to use a mixture of fresh parsley and coriander, but you can use these two fresh herbs interchangeably, depending on your taste preferences.
- red onion: can be replaced with shallots or green onion.
- fresh garlic cloves: peeled and finely chopped.
- red chili pepper (red jalapeño peppers) or green jalapeños: can be replaced with chilli flakes (red pepper flakes). Include or omit the seeds depending on how spicy you like your food.
- red wine vinegar: can be replaced with white wine, apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar. You may also substitute vinegar with an equal amount of fresh lemon juice.
- olive oil: we used extra virgin olive oil. You may choose to use lemon or garlic-infused olive oil. Cold-pressed rapeseed oil or avocado oil will also work well.
- mayonnaise: both regular and low fat mayo work in this recipe. But whole egg creamy mayonnaise will produce the most delicious sauce.
- kosher salt and black pepper: to season.
There are two steps in making the chimichurri mayonnaise: crafting a homemade chimichurri sauce and then mixing it with mayo. You can, of course, take it a step further, and make your own mayo from scratch!
Step 1: Making Hot Chimichurri Sauce
Finely chop fresh cilantro (or a mixture of parsley and coriander), red onion, chilli pepper and garlic. Place everything in a pestle and mortar, add red wine vinegar and bash to create a rough paste. Mix in olive oil and scoop the sauce into a small bowl.
Step 2: Mixing It All Together
To make creamy chimichurri mayo, mix the mayo into the chimichurri sauce. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if needed. Scoop the mayo mixture into a clean bowl and garnish with a sprig of parsley and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
Smooth vs Chunky Chimichurri Mayonnaise
Our recipe calls for a chimichurri that is pounded into a coarse paste with a pestle and mortar. However, some of you may like a smooth herbaceous mayo, and we totally get it! You can easily achieve that by blitzing the chimichurri sauce into a smooth paste in a food processor before mixing it with mayonnaise.
However, please note that you will need either a small food processor or a large amount of chimichurri sauce to be able to make it very smooth. The herbs may stick to the sides of a large bowl of a food processor, so you may need to scrape the sides a few times to achieve the desired consistency.
The spiciness of chimichurri mayo can vary depending on the recipe and personal preferences. Our chimichurri itself is not typically spicy, but it does have a perfect kick from the garlic and chilli. When combined with mayonnaise to create chimichurri mayo, the heat level can be adjusted by adding or reducing the amount of chilli or spicy ingredients. The beauty of making chimichurri mayo at home is that you have the freedom to customize it to your desired level of spiciness, ensuring it suits your taste preferences and those of your family.
Absolutely! Chimichurri mayo can be easily adapted to a vegan version by using vegan-friendly mayonnaise as a base. There are several options available in stores or you can even make your own homemade vegan mayo using plant-based ingredients like aquafaba (chickpea brine) or silken tofu. Simply substitute the regular mayonnaise with the vegan alternative and proceed with adding the other traditional chimichurri ingredients such as fresh herbs, garlic, vinegar, and spices.
Generally speaking, aioli is made with garlic-infused oil, or with extra garlic. If you want more garlic flavour in this chimichurri mayo recipe, just an extra garlic clove when making the sauce, or use garlic-infused oil instead of olive oil and you will have a delicious chimichurri aioli.
Storing Leftover Chimichurri Mayo
Transfer the chimichurri mayo to an airtight container. Glass jars or containers with tight-fitting lids work well for this purpose. Ensure that the container is clean and dry before transferring the sauce. Moisture can contribute to spoilage. Store the chimichurri mayo in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
We do not recommend freezing chimichurri mayonnaise.
Other Homemade Sauces and Dips
As we reach the end of this tantalizing Chimichurri Mayo recipe, let your culinary journey continue with a myriad of delightful dip and sauce recipes that will complement and enhance your favourite dishes:
- Spicy Coriander Mayo
- Gluten-Free & Vegan BBQ Sauce
- Basil Pistou (French Pesto Recipe)
- Chipotle Yoghurt Dip
- Chinese BBQ Sauce
Easy Chimichurri Mayonnaise
- Pestle and Mortar or a small food processor
- 15 g coriander cilantro, or flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ⅛ red onion or shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled and finely chopped
- ½ red chilli pepper finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50 g mayonnaise
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Finely chop coriander (or a mixture of parsley and coriander), red onion, chilli and garlic. Place everything in a pestle and mortar, add red wine vinegar and bash to create a rough paste. Mix in olive oil and scoop the sauce into a small bowl.
- To make creamy chimichurri mayo, mix the mayo into the chimichurri sauce. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if needed. Scoop the mayo mixture into a clean bowl and garnish with a sprig of parsley and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.