Granola for breakfast is one of the easiest and tastiest starts to your day! We are sharing our Crunchy Homemade Granola Recipe with Egg White! Not only a great way to use up a leftover egg white but this granola can also be made with any fruit, nuts or seeds that you have in your cupboards! What is more, this refined sugar-free granola so can be enjoyed almost guilt-free!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Why Make Egg White Granola?
- Oats keep you full for longer. Seb’s weekday breakfast is almost always a bowl of granola, muesli or wheat biscuits with dried fruit! Let’s be honest, it’s quick and it’s easy! What is more, oat-based breakfasts seem to be the only option keeping him full until … well… 3 hours later (and then it’s snack time!).
- Egg white makes granola extra crunchy!
- This egg white granola is great to use in desserts that lack texture: top yoghurt, mousse, fool or ever your ice cream with it!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- porridge oats: also known as rolled oats.
- honey: clear runny honey.
- vegetable oil: can be substituted with sunflower oil or rapeseed oil.
- mixed spice: or simply cinnamon.
- mixed dried fruit: raisins, sultanas and mixed peel.
- pecans: or walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds – use your favourite nuts in this egg white granola!
- mixed seeds: pumpkin, sunflower, golden linen seeds etc.
- egg white
To make this sugar-free granola recipe with egg white, start by preheating the oven to 140°C Fan. In a large mixing bowl, mix porridge oats, fruit, nuts, seeds and mixed spice. Then add runny honey and odourless oil (we use vegetable oil). Stir everything well to distribute the honey and coat all the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Then pour into your granola mixture and stir again to combine.
You will need a large baking sheet to bake your Homemade Granola with Egg White. I have had mine for years and it is still going strong. I like that it has a low rim, so it’s great for making meringue for roulades or sponges for swiss rolls too. Here’s the link: MasterClass Large Baking Tray with PFOA Free Non-Stick, Robust 1 mm Carbon Steel, 39 x 27 cm.
Spread your granola mixture in a thin layer. Then using your hands, clump some of the granola together into small clusters. Bake on the bottom shelf in a pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes, stirring once midway through cooking. But be careful not to break up clusters of oats too much.
Once baked, your egg white granola may still feel a little soft, but don’t worry it will crisp up when cooled. Leave to cool completely on a baking sheet. Then transfer into an airtight container. I have a set of four in different sizes – here’s the link.
Other Breakfast Ideas
For other delicious breakfast ideas, have a look at our:
Crunchy Home Made Granola with Egg Whites
- Large Baking Sheet (40x27cm)
- Preheat the oven to 140°C Fan. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix oats, dried fruit, nuts, seeds and mixed spice. Add runny honey and vegetable oil and mix well to lightly coat all dry ingredints.
- Whisk the egg white until frothy. Add to your granola mix and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture onto a baking sheet and spread out into a thin layer. Using your hands clump some of the granola together to form little clusters.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Granola may still feel soft when you take it out of the oven, but it will crisp up whilst cooling.
- Leave to cool on a tray. Avoid damp areas, though. Once cold, transfer into an airtight container and use within a week.