Granola for breakfast is one of the easiest and tastiest starts to your day! We are sharing our Crunchy Home-Made Granola with Egg Whites! Not only a great way to use up a spare egg white, but this granola can also be made with any fruit, nuts or seeds that you have in your cupboards! What is more, it’s refined-sugar-free so can be enjoyed almost guilt-free!
Seb’s weekday breakfast is almost always a bowl of granola, muesli or wheat biscuits with dried fruit! It’s easy, and oat-based breakfasts seem to be the only option keeping him full until … well… 3 hours later (and then it’s snack time!). What is more, this granola is great to use in desserts that lack texture. Egg whites in this recipe make this Home-Made Granola extra crunchy and can be used to top yoghurt or cream desserts!
To make this granola, preheat the oven to 140° C Fan. In a large mixing bowl, mix porridge oats, fruit, nuts, seeds and mixed spice. Then add runny honey and odourless oil (we use simple vegetable oil). Stir everything well to distribute the honey and coat all the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. The pour into your granola mixture and stir again to combine.
You will need a large baking sheet to bake your Home-Made Granola with Egg Whites on. I have had mine for years and it is still going strong. I like that it has a low rim, so it’s great for making meringue for roulades or sponges for swiss rolls too. Here’s the link: MasterClass Large Baking Tray with PFOA Free Non-Stick, Robust 1 mm Carbon Steel, 39 x 27 cm.
Spread your granola mixture in a thin layer. Then using your hands, clump some of the granola together into small clusters. Bake on the bottom shelf in a pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes, stirring once midway through cooking. But be careful not to break up clusters of oats too much.
One baked, your granola may still feel a little soft, but don’t worry it will crisp up when cooled. Leave to cool completely on a baking sheet. Then transfer into an airtight container. I have a set of four in different sizes – here’s the link.
For other delicious breakfast ideas, have a look at our:
Crunchy Home Made Granola with Egg Whites
- Large Baking Sheet (40x27cm)
- 270 g porridge oats
- 85 g honey
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75 g mixed fruit (raisins, sultanas and mixed peel)
- 40 g pecans
- 25 g mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower and golden linen seeds)
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 140° C Fan. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix oats, dried fruit, nuts, seeds and mixed spice. Add runny honey and vegetable oil and mix well to lightly coat all dry ingredints.
- Whisk the egg white until frothy. Add to your granola mix and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture onto a baking sheet and spread out into a thin layer. Using your hands clump some of the granola together to form little clusters.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Granola may still feel soft when you take it out of the oven, but it will crisp up whilst cooling.
- Leave to cool on a tray. Avoid damp areas, though. Once cold, transfer into an airtight container and use within a week.