One thing that is perfect to throw on a BBQ grill is mushrooms! These Grilled Mushrooms Stuffed With Blue Cheese are a perfect summer BBQ treat, that can be cooked alongside your burgers and kebabs! Big, flat Portobello mushrooms filled with cheese, nuts and spring onions and grilled until soft, this is a great recipe you have to try at your next BBQ party!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- large flat or Portobello mushrooms work best for these blue cheese mushrooms, cooked on a grill.
- breadcrumbs: fresh, panko or shop-bought dried breadcrumbs will work.
- pecans: can be substituted with walnuts.
- garlic clove: or 1/2 tsp of garlic paste.
- spring onion: can be replaced with chives or parsley.
- olive oil: or any other oil that won’t overpower the other flavours, like vegetable, sunflower, avocado or rapeseed oil.
- stilton: can be replaced with other types of blue cheese, like gorgonzola, Roquefort or Danish Blue, however, we think that Stilton Stuffed Mushrooms are best – Stilton doesn’t overpower other flavours and melts slower than softer blue cheese.
How To Stuff Portobello Mushrooms?
Remove the stalks from the portobello (flat) mushrooms and chop them very finely. In a small frying pan fry them with 1 tbsp of oil for 3-4 minutes to soften just slightly.
To a bowl, add the cooked mushroom stalks, pecans, spring onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and crumbled stilton. Mix together. Spoon the filling into the mushroom caps.
How To Grill Stuffed Mushrooms?
Place the stilton stuffed mushrooms on a hot BBQ grill and cook for approximately 15 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and the cheese has melted. If you are cooking on a grill with a lid, cover the BBQ with the lid to speed up the process and introduce more of a wonderful smoky flavour to them!
Absolutely! Place unstuffed mushrooms under the grill for a few minutes first to soften first. Since you will be grilling from above, you want to make sure your mushrooms cook through first. Then stuff them with the blue cheese mixture and place them back under the grill for a couple of minutes, or until the cheese melts!
Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds work really well in these stilton stuffed mushrooms.
Three Ways To Enjoy Stuffed Mushrooms
These delicious mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese make a lovely vegetarian main (just a few side dishes)!
But if you’re looking for a more substantial vegetarian main, make it into a burger! These Grilled Mushrooms with Cheese are sooo good sandwiched in light brioche buns, with a bit of herby mayo, and a lot of shredded lettuce leaves or slaw. Simply skip the breadcrumbs and substitute with more cheese!
Alternatively, serve our mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese as a lovely side dish to grilled meats. These go beautifully with pork chops, beef patties, sausages and more!
Other Summer BBQ Recipes
For other summer BBQ ideas, have a look at some of our favourite recipes:
Grilled Mushrooms Stuffed With Blue Cheese
- 2 large flat or Portobello mushrooms
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 20 g pecans roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove crushed
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 30 g stilton
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop them very finely. In a small frying pan fry them with 1 tbsp of oil for 3-4 minutes to soften just slightly.
- To a bowl, add the cooked mushroom stalks, pecans, breadcrumbs, spring onion, garlic and crumbled stilton. Mix together. Spoon the filling into the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms on the BBQ grill and cook for approx 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and the cheese has melted.