A recipe for you if you think that a bit of chilli can only make things better! Our Spicy Carrot Slaw is inspired by Russo-Korean migrant cooking. Simple yet delicious slaw with a bit of a kick is a perfect addition to your summer BBQ table! Try it if you’re looking to spice things up with something a little different to your traditional coleslaw!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
How often do you have BBQs in summer? I will be honest, we only have three or four, but when we do, we tend to go all out. And we always try a new recipe – be it the main meat dish or a side dish. Last summer we were experimenting with Asian flavours. You probably heard of the world-famous Korean BBQ, so I was convinced that other Asian flavours will work in a BBQ. We held exclusively Asian-themed BBQs last summer trying to incorporate a range of Japanese, Korean, Thai and Chinese flavours into our burgers, grilled fish and various side dishes. And I have to say I was in love with the Asian-flavoured BBQs! This year, we are doing round two! And we started earlier in the season!
Over the course of summer, we’ll aim to share more recipes that we love, including a Banh Mi Burger, Central Asian Shashlik and a range of our favourites sides!
Today, we are sharing one of our simplest side dishes – Spicy Carrot Slaw, flavoured with garlic, coriander and chilli. Simple ingredients, simple methods and therefore, a really simple recipe! Something different to try with your summer bbq if you are bored of your traditional coleslaw!
For our other BBQ food ideas, have a look at our Summer Recipes Section. There, you will find:
Korean Style Spicy Carrot Slaw | Perfect BBQ Side Dish
- Grater/ Mandoline
- 500 g carrots peeled and julienned
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Using a mandoline, or a grater attachment julienne your carrots (if you don't have one, simple grate coarsely).
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil and a crushed garlic clove. Once hit, let the garlic sizzle in the oil for 2 minutes on low heat – this will infuse your oil. Tip the hot oil over the julienned carrots and mix. Leave the garlic clove in. Let everything cool down for a few minutes.
- Mix in the sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, coriander and chilli. Cover and leave at room temperature for approx 6 hours to infuse. After that, store in the fridge.
- Mix the slaw again and take out the garlic clove before serving. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top if you like.