Lovely creamy, sweet and tangy Lemon Slices that you can make using only 5 ingredients! Extremely easy to make, this is a perfect first bake if you’re a beginner or just fancy a no-fuss dessert! These Lemon Slices are easy to make, they are tangy and they are delicious! Decorate with lemon zest or raspberries if you want to impress!
After making my Easy Eggnog for the Christmas Lattes, I had half a tin of condensed milk to use and were looking for ideas. I normally make a key lime pie (Seb’s favourite recipe here) with condensed milk, but this time, I decided to use lemons. Only having half of a tin of condensed milk to spare, I used a loaf tin for this recipe instead of making a large round pie. I used a 25x10cm loaf tin for this recipe. But you can easily double the recipe. Just make sure you use a tin twice as big for the slices to be ready in the same amount of time.
I love citrus desserts, be it a classic Tart au Citron, Key Lime Pie or a Lemon Cheesecake. This simple 5 ingredient dessert has an element of each of the above, really. Creamy as cheesecake, tangy as Lemon Tart and has a lovely biscuit base just like our favourite key lime pie.
To make these Lemon Slices, preheat the oven to 160°C Fan. Crush 100g of oat biscuits into fine crumbs. I simply put them in a large mixing bowl and bash them with the end of a rolling pin. I then mix them with 50g of melted butter. You can use salted or unsalted in this recipe. I personally like salted, to counterbalance the sweetness of condensed milk and the tart of the lemon in the filling.
With the back of a tablespoon, press the buttery biscuit mixture into a baking-parchment lined loaf tin/ baking tray (with a surface area of about 250cm²). Make sure to get the mixture into all four corners. Then pop in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, using an electric whisk, beat the condensed milk, eggs and lemon juice in a large bowl. I’ve tried using freshly squeezed lemon juice and the juice from the bottle. The latter was more tart, but both worked really well. Beat the mixture for 4-5 minutes, until slightly increased in volume.
When the base is baked, pour the lemon mixture on top and return to the oven for 15 minutes until the filling sets. Cool completely at room temperature, then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting into slices.
If you wish, you can decorate with icing sugar, lemon zest or raspberries, or even pipe some dark chocolate on top.
If you’re looking for other easy desserts and bakes to make, have a look at the following:
5-Ingredient Lemon Slices
- 100 g oat biscuits
- 50 g butter melted
- 200 g condensed milk
- 60 ml lemon juice from approx. 1.5 lemons
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan. Line a small baking tray or a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, crush oat biscuits with the end of a rolling pin. Add melted butter and mix well. Tip the mixture into a tray and press down with a back of the spoon. Make sure it gets into all four corners of the tin. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk condensed milk, lemon juice and eggs with an electric whisk until fully combined and volume slightly increased (about 3 minutes).
- Pour the lemon mixture on top of the baked oat biscuit base and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once baked, cool completely at room temperature. Then chill for at least two hours in the fridge before slicing and decorating with icing sugar and lemon zest, if you wish.