Christmas is a time to eat cheese. And lots of it! But no cheese board would be complete without a lovely chutney. Here, we are sharing our very own Plum and Red Onion Chutney that complements not only cheese but can be used as a condiment for pork and poultry dishes. Moreover, they make perfect little Christmas gifts!
Back in August, we had the most abundant harvest of plums. Juicy sweet plums were weighing down our plum tree branches. By the end of the month, they were getting very ripe and needed using. We ate them fresh, made lovely cakes and jams and lastly, created the most delicious Plum and Red Onion Chutney with Christmas in mind!
It is such a great accompaniment to brie, stilton and mature cheddar. But most importantly, it goes exceptionally well with Christmas Turkey! Maybe we’ll even skip a traditional cranberry sauce this year!
You will find other wonderfully tasty sides on our Christmas dinner plates, including:
Plum and Red Onion Chutney
- 500 g plums ripe, quartered and destoned
- 250 g red onion finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove finely chopped
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Wash and quarter your plums and remove the stones. If your plums are very big, you may want to cut them into eight wedges. Tip them in an airtight container, pour the sugar all over, mix and place in the fridge overnight for the juices to release.
- The next day, finely chop red onion and garlic. Tip them in a pan, add vinegar and bring to the boil. Pour in any juices that released from the plums overnight. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Now scoop all the sugar-coated plums into the pan. Season with some salt and black pepper. Bring to a full rolling boil for 5 minutes. Then simmer on low heat for approx. 30 minutes, stirring once in a while.
- Ladle into hot sterilised jars, seal and leave to cool. If you're planning to use this chutney for cheese and crackers, make sure you don't ladle in too much of the juices to keep it thicker. Thinner version makes a perfect relish for poultry dishes, including your Christmas turkey!