Thick. Creamy. Smokey. Sweet. And Zingy. This is our Vegan Sweet Corn Chowder! A quick hearty recipe for a warming lunch for two, whenever you need a hug from your bowl of soup! Beautifully vegan, filling, and full of flavour and different textures, this Creamed Corn Soup will be an instant hit with your family and friends!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Why You Should Try This Sweet Corn Soup Even If You Don’t Like Sweetcorn?
Confession time: I never liked sweetcorn. Not sure if it’s because of the texture or the unusual sweetness in what’s supposed to be a savoury vegetable. Seb is quite the opposite and can eat a tin of sweetcorn with a spoon! The interesting fact is that I LOVE this Sweetcorn Chowder as much as Seb does. With the addition of smoked paprika, creamy coconut and zingy lime, sweetcorn flavour somehow transforms for the better!
We first made this 3 years ago, when we did our first Veganuary. It was one of the most interesting food-related experiences for me. Not only did I feel great eating all-plant foods, but I’ve discovered so many new recipes, exciting ingredients and innovative ways to cook food that I’d previously deemed boring and tasteless. As a result, we regularly cook various vegan recipes and very often we prefer vegan/ vegetarian dinners over meat or fish!
So if you think that vegan food is tasteless or boring, we dare you to try and make this Creamed Sweet Corn Chowder!
Note on Ingredients
Most of the ingredients for this vegan corn soup are your everyday staples, but there are a couple of things I’d like to draw your attention to.
Add creamed coconut and stir (don’t worry if it stays in lumps). This recipe requires creamed coconut. Don’t confuse it with coconut cream or coconut milk though – they have completely different textures. We tried it with coconut milk, and it was far too greasy and sweet. Creamed coconut normally comes compressed into a block shape or small (50g) sachets. We typically find this in the international food isles in the Thai or Chinese sections. Alternatively, you can get a range of them on Amazon. Here are the ones we tried and tested:
Whilst we keep it simple and garnish this vegan chowder with a sprinkle of smoked paprika, some scattered spring onion and a lime wedge, you may want to a step further. Roughly chopped coriander, slices of red chilli or dried chilli flakes won’t go amiss.
How to Make a Vegan Sweet Corn Soup?
Start by finely chopping your onions and slicing your red pepper.
In a large pan with a lid, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add onions, peppers and chilli flakes and cook for 3 minutes, until just starting to soften. Add creamed coconut and stir (don’t worry if it stays in lumps). Add frozen sweetcorn.
Crumble in a stock cube. Add 400 ml of boiling water, and a tsp of smoked paprika and stir well. Bring to a simmer. Then cover with a lid and leave to cook for 15 minutes.
Once cooked, transfer half of the soup into a liquidiser and blend until smooth. Add back into the pan. It will give your soup thickness. The rest of the vegetables will provide a nice texture to the chowder. Stir the soup and reheat if needed.
Take the chowder off of the heat. Squeeze in half a lime and stir. Then divide into two bowls, top with spring onion, a sprinkle of smoked paprika and a lime wedge.
What To Serve with Vegan Creamed Corn Soup?
Other non-vegan alternatives that go very well with this sweetcorn chowder recipe are:
Other Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Pineapple Stir Fry with Curried Coconut Sauce
- Autumnal Red Lentil & Butternut Squash Dahl
- Salty & Sweet Miso-Glazed Aubergine
Delicious Sweet Corn Soup (Vegan)
- Liquidised or Stick Blender
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 50 g creamed coconut from a block (see details in the text above), roughly chopped
- 300 g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 vegetable stock cube + 400ml of boiling water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 spring onion sliced diagonally
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 5 g fresh coriander optional
- In a large pan with a lid, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add onions, peppers and chilli flakes and cook for 3 minutes, until just starting to soften.
- Add creamed coconut and stir (don't worry if it stays in lumps). Add frozen sweetcorn. Crumble in a stock cube. Add 400 ml of boiling water, a tsp of smoked paprika and stir well. Bring to a simmer. Then cover with a lid and leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer half of the soup into a liquidiser and blend until smooth. Add back into the soup. It will give your soup thickness. Stir the chowder and reheat if needed.
- Take the chowder off of the heat. Squeeze in half a lime and stir. Divide into two bowls, top with spring onion, a sprinkle of smoked paprika and a lime wedge.