Have some leftover egg yolks? Lucky you! There are many delicious treats that you can make whether you have 1, 2 or 9 leftover egg yolks! Having made a bunch of delicious cakes and tarts over the last few months, I constantly found myself with excess egg whites or yolks in the fridge, and had a challenge trying to come up with ways to use them, so nothing goes to waste! So if you find yourself separating eggs for a recipe, don’t throw the other half away! Here we have put together a selection of our egg yolk recipes that you may find useful when looking for ideas to use up those egg yolks and prevent waste!
1 Egg Yolk:
- Melt-In-The-Mouth Lemon Jammy Dodgers: A classic British Biscuits just had a lemony revamp! Buttery and so delicate that they melt in your mouth, these Lemon Jammy Dodgers are great with your mid-morning coffee and your afternoon tea! And if you have heaps of leftover egg yolks, why not make your own lemon curd too!
- Caneles de Bordeaux: The easiest Canelé recipe for the notoriously difficult pastry to achieve! These French Canelés de Bordeaux have been an obsession of mine for a few years now. Nothing compares to their dark caramelised crust and incredibly moist middle! Furthermore, this recipe is without rum, so is great for both adults and children alike!
2 Egg Yolks:
- Easy Hollandaise Sauce: that you can serve with fishcakes, poached eggs, grilled asparagus or steamed broccoli and cauliflower.
3 Egg Yolks:
- French Fruit Tart: There is no better dessert for summer than one that’s covered in a range of fresh fruit! That’s why we make a simple French Fruit Tart every time we have guests over in the summertime! Delicious crisp shortcrust pastry, filled with silky smooth creme patissiere and topped with all the fruit you love, creates a delicious, light and very good looking dessert!
- Christmas Eclairs with Orange Crème Diplomat and Cranberry & Pistachio Topping: Try it! It’s a lovely dessert for Christmas Eve or Boxing Day lunch to keep the Christmas theme going!
4 Eggs Yolks:
- Orange Blossom Creme Brulee: 4 egg yolks will yield 6 smaller or 4 bigger creme brulees for you and your family to enjoy. And if you don’t have any orange blossom water, you can add other flavourings such as vanilla, almond or lavender extract!
5 Egg Yolks:
Lime & Passionfruit Charlotte Royal: our festive show stopper, Charlotte Royal is an impressive looking and delicious dessert that will wow the guests at your special gathering!
6 Egg Yolks:
- Melktert | South African Custard Tart: Silky smooth and creamy, our version of Melktert is made with custard spiced with nutmeg and cardamom. Topped with a good amount of cinnamon, this South African favourite, is a wonderfully rich custard tart that can be made with everyday ingredients you will find in your cupboards!
8-9 Egg Yolks:
- Sourdough Panettone: Sourdough Panettone is one of my favourite Christmas treats! A rich buttery Italian bread, generously studded with dried fruit and mixed peel can easily be mistaken for cake! Using an active sourdough starter in this recipe, it does take a bit of patience to make, but the result is oh-so-good!
For Our Best Leftover Egg Whites Recipes, have a look HERE (coming soon).