Stuck in a rut with your lunch options? Is your relationship with Tuna Mayo sandwiches starting to lose its charm? Well, if you are a tuna lover like us, there’s a wonderful option here for you to enjoy! Tuna Melt Wrap is a protein-packed, incredibly flavoursome and budget-friendly lunch option to try! Best served warm with a side of green salad, but also good cold, so you can pack it on a hike or for an office lunch!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Why You Will Love This Tuna Cheese Wrap?
- A wonderful twist on my all-time favourite Tuna Melt Sandwich.
- Budget-friendly: 1 tin of tuna will feed two for lunch!
- Easy and quick to make: you will only need about 15-20 minutes to make a delicious lunch!
- We love the crispy warm tortilla wrap with beautiful griddle pan lines across it! Add the melting cheese and tuna filling and it’s heaven on a plate!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- tuna: this recipe uses tinned tuna in either brine or spring water. 145g tin (102g drained weight) will make two tuna cheese wraps.
- mayonnaise: full fat or reduced fat will work just fine. You may choose to use vegan mayo too for an egg-free option.
- gherkins: one large gherkin or 2 small ones will be enough for 2 wraps.
- sundried tomatoes: in oil, drained, finely chopped. Tomatoes are optional, but we feel they add a lovely Mediterranean flavour to this tuna melt tortilla. You can add chopped fresh tomatoes instead, but make sure no introduce too much moisture into the filling or your warps will not crisp up well in a pan.
- wheat tortilla wraps: we used plain large (10in) tortillas, but feel free to use wholewheat or gluten-free options.
- spinach: watercress and rocket (arugula) also work well.
- bell pepper: any colour will do, thinly sliced.
- Cheddar: we used mature Cheddar, but you may choose other types of cheese. Just make sure it’s the type that melts well.
In a bowl, mix drained tuna, finely chopped gherkins, sundried tomatoes and mayo. Season with salt and pepper.
In the centre of each wheat tortilla wrap arrange some spinach in a verticle line. Spoon half of the tuna mix on top of the spinach, add bell pepper slices and cover everything with grated cheese.
How To Fold Tortilla Into A Wrap?
Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling then fold the sides in to create a wrap. We recommend keeping it rather flat, rather than round.
Brush a griddle pan (or a non-stick frying pan) with a little oil and heat on medium-high. Add the tuna melt wraps and place another heavy pan (like a cast iron skillet) on top to weigh the wraps down.
Fry for 2-3 minutes (until brown lines are showing, or the bottom browns and crisps up), then turn and fry on the other side for another 2 -3 minutes.
Cut each wrap in half and serve warm with your favourite salad (see some suggestions below).
Why Is My Wheat Tortilla Wrap Splitting When Rolling?
Often, after opening a pack of tortilla wraps, they dry (even with a peel & reseal packaging). Dry wraps become slightly less flexible and can be very brittle when folded, creating splits in your wrap and exposing the filling inside.
Fortunately, this can be easily rectified with an atomiser or a spray bottle. Simple spray some water (not too much though) on the wrap and leave it to soak in for a minute or two. The re-introduced moisture will make your wheat wraps flexible and easy to roll again!
Other Recipe FAQs
Quesadillas are a wonderful alternative to make! Simply distribute all your filling ingredients across the surface of one tortilla wrap, cover with another wrap and fry in a lightly greased pan on each side for 2-3 minutes, until crispy and browned. Cut the Tuna Melt Quesadilla in quarters and enjoy!
We love sharp tangy mature Cheddar in our Tuna & Cheese Wraps, but many other types of cheese will work well as long as the cheese is the melty type. Try these wraps with pizza cheese, Emmental, Gouda, Red Leicester or Swiss Cheese.
What Else Can I Add To These Wraps?
There are so many things that go well with tuna, that you can choose many additional or substitute ingredients for these beauties.
- Spread some red onion chutney on the tortilla wrap.
- Choose your favourite cheese instead of Cheddar.
- Add tomato slices instead of bell pepper.
- Mix in some capers instead of gherkins.
What Goes Well With Tuna Cheese Wrap?
We think a wrap, panini or sandwich is best served with a nutritious side salad. Try it with:
- Raw Courgette Ribbon Salad with Honey & Earl Grey Dressing
- Persian Shirazi Salad
- Asian Cabbage Slaw with Sesame Mayo
For other side dishes, have a look at our full side dish recipe collection.
Other Delicious Lunch Recipes
If you like lovely sandwiches, paninis and wraps for lunch, we have a bunch of options for you to try. Some of our favourites include:
- Coronation Chickpea Sandwich (Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich) or Coronation Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Halloumi Sandwich (Aubergine & Halloumi Panini)
- BBQ Chicken Wrap (Recipe Coming Soon)
Ultimate Tuna Melt Wrap
- Griddle Pan or a non-stick frying pan
- 1 tin of tuna 145g, in brine or spring water, drained
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1-2 gherkins finely chopped
- 4 sundried tomatoes in oil, drained, finely chopped
- 2 wheat tortilla wraps large (10in)
- handful of spinach
- 1/4 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 70 g Cheddar coarsely grated
- In a bowl, mix drained tuna, finely chopped gherkins, sundried tomatoes and mayo. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the centre of each wheat tortilla wrap arrange some spinach in a verticle line. Spoon half of the tuna mix on top of the spinach, add bell pepper slices and cover everything with grated cheese.
- Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling then fold the sides in to create a wrap. We recommend keeping it rather flat, rather than round.
- Brush a griddle pan (or a non-stick frying pan) with a little oil and heat on medium-high. Add the tuna melt wraps and place another heavy pan (line cast iron skillet) on top to weigh the wraps down.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes (until brown lines are showing, or the bottom browns and crisps up), then turn and fry on the other side for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Cut each wrap in half and serve warm with your favourite salad!