Christmas morning is probably the most magical morning of the year no matter how old you are! We believe it’s important to start it right with a breakfast dish fit for kings! This is our go-to Christmas Breakfast. For us, nothing screams luxury more than smoked salmon and spinach baked eggs in the morning and there’s no easier way to make them for a bunch of family members staying over! Made in individual ramekins and baked it the oven, there’s no need to spend time plating. Just serve with a slice of crusty bread!
We first made these eggs a few years back on Christmas morning, when we had 9 people to serve for breakfast. We needed something that could all be done in parallel, easy to serve without having to prepare 9 plates whilst the rest are getting cold and, of course, delicious. It meant that we couldn’t efficiently do a poached egg dish, and a serve-yourself fry-up didn’t feel special enough. A perfect solution was to make individual portions in little ramekins! And right there, our Smoked Salmon & Spinach Eggs were born!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
How to Make our Very Special Christmas Breakfast?
Begin by lightly greasing individual ramekins with a bit of oil. This recipe is for 4 x 150ml ramekins (like these here). Place them on a baking tray. Preheat the oven to 180° C Fan. Then, wash and thoroughly dry your spinach. Chop them up roughly and divide into your ramekins.
Place large flakes of good-quality smoked salmon on top. Then dot cream cheese around. We use about 2 tsp per ramekin. Crack an egg over the top in each one and season with some freshly ground black pepper and dried dill if you wish. Sprinkle with some parmesan and they are ready to bake.
TIP: Don’t season with salt. Smoked salmon and parmesan will provide all the seasoning that this dish needs.
Bake the eggs for 15-20 minutes, until egg whites are almost set (they will continue cooking slowly when you take them to the table), but yolks are still soft and runny. Cooking time will depend on the size of your eggs and ramekins you’re using. Towards the end of the cooking time, keep checking. If the whites aren’t setting on top, it’s likely due to the moisture in the spinach. Just pop the ramekins under the grill for 30 seconds. Once cooked, you can sprinkle the top with fresh dill or chopped chive!
We love serving our Christmas Breakfast with freshly baked Sourdough Bread! Delicious!
Our Christmas Breakfast | Smoked Salmon and Spinach Baked Eggs
- 4 x 150ml ramekins
- 50 g spinach washed, dried and roughly chopped
- 120 g smoked salmon torn into large flakes
- 4 eggs
- 80 g cream cheese
- 25 g parmesan finely grated
- black pepper
- dried or fresh dill optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan. Lightly grease ramekins with some olive oil and place on a large baking tray.
- Divide roughly chopped spinach amongst ramekins. Top with large smoked salmon flakes and dot cream cheese on top.
- Then crack an egg into each ramekin. Season with black pepper (no need to add salt) and sprinkle with dried dill, if using. Grate some parmesan on top.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until egg whites are set but yolks are still soft and runny. If your whites aren't setting, place under the grill for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle with fresh dill or chive on top, if using. Serve with crusty bread.