If you enjoy a bowlful of shop-bought ravioli for a quick weeknight dinner once in a while, you will probably appreciate an excellent creme fraiche sauce for pasta to give your meal a delicious homemade feel! We sure do! And our Creamy Ravioli Sauce with garlic and herbs is our favourite one to use on any vegetable, mushroom or cheese-filled pasta dishes (ravioli, tortellini, agnolotti – it all works!)! Moreover, it works great with smoked salmon or chicken pasta too!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- butter: we use unsalted European-style butter, but if you have salted just adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- creme fraiche: can be easily substituted with sour cream.
- water: will be used to make the sauce thinner so that it can coat the pasta well.
- garlic powder: can be replaced with minced garlic clove, but note that the flavour will be stronger. Make sure that you don’t let the garlic brown in the butter.
- parsley: or other fresh herbs. Use the herbs that go with your pasta ingredients. You can use dill, parsley, chives or coriander to go with salmon or prawn pasta. Parsley, tarragon or thyme go well with mushroom pasta. Chicken pasta will work well with coriander, parsley, chives or basil.
- seasoning: ground black pepper and salt.
- Squeeze in a bit of lemon into the sauce and serve it with prawn or fish pasta.
- Add a spoonful of pesto into the Creamy Ravioli Sauce instead of fresh herbs.
- Grate in a tablespoon of parmesan for a stronger tasting-cheesy sauce.
Once your pasta and any other ingredients are cooked and ready to be assembled into a dish, melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add the salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir until the salt dissolves. Add the creme fraiche and parsley, and stir to combine.
Add just enough water to thin the sauce. Serve with your favourite filled pasta or spaghetti with prawns, chicken or salmon! For ideas on what this Creme Fraiche Sauce For Pasta goes well with, see the section below.
Top Tips For The Best Creme Fraiche Pasta Sauce
- Do not brown the butter. Just heat it enough to melt and dissolve the salt.
- Chop the herbs finely, you want the herbs distributed in the sauce evenly in small pieces.
- The sauce needs to be a bit thinner than you would think. Once it is poured on the pasta, some of it will be absorbed and it will become a lot thicker.
Watch How To Make It
What Pasta To Serve This Creme Fraiche Sauce With?
So you know that you want a super flavoursome creamy creme fraiche sauce for pasta, right? What pasta actually works with it?
This Creamy Ravioli Sauce is not only for ravioli. It works with any other filled/ stuffed pasta. Whilst the tomato-based sauce is typically served with meat-filled pasta, this creme fraiche sauce is perfect with:
- Homemade Cheese & Lavender Pasta
- Mushroom Agnolotti
- Smoked Salmon Mezzaluna Pasta
- Butternut Squash Cappelletti Pasta
But don’t worry, you really don’t need to make your own filled pasta! As a matter of fact, this creamy ravioli sauce will make any shop-bought pasta dish a lot better. Pair it with mushroom, spinach and ricotta or four-cheese ravioli!
Other Pasta Dishes
You can also use this creme fraiche sauce for pasta like spaghetti, linguine or even small shapes like farfalle and penne. This sauce works extremely well with smoked salmon, like our Smoked Salmon and Spinach Pasta recipe, or smoked Mackerel, like this Mackerel Pasta recipe here.
Alternatively, this sauce works very well with:
- A variety of vegetables, like peas, courgette, green beans and broccoli.
Creme Fraiche Sauce For Pasta (Creamy Ravioli Sauce)
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir until salt dissolves.
- Add the creme fraiche and parsley, and stir to combine.
- Add just enough water to thin the sauce. Serve with your favourite filled pasta or spaghetti with prawns, chicken or salmon!