If you are looking for a quick, but extremely flavoursome dinner recipe, look no further! Our quick and easy Honey Chicken recipe comes together in under 20 minutes and is a real crowd pleaser! Served on a bed of fluffy rice, this sticky, sweet and spicy chicken is a great substitute for a pricey takeaway, and you will make it quicker than your takeaway would have arrived! Equally delicious made with tofu if you are looking for a vegetarian option!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Being one of the quickest and most delicious meals is not the only benefit of this dish. Yes, it may not be a healthy option for dinner, but the good thing is, you may not need a dessert after this Honey Chicken meal. If you’ve ever had Crispy Shredded Chicken in Honey sauce in any of the Chinese Restaurants or ordered it from your local takeaway, you will probably know how sweet the dish can be. And whilst some people frown upon so much sweetness in a savoury dish, we love it! However, our honey sauce is made deliberately a little bit less sweet. We added the juice of one orange to introduce a little bit of sourness to the sauce, which makes it a little lighter and with a bit of extra flavour.
We tried to make this recipe as easy as possible and only included the main must-add ingredients, but if you are looking to add even more flavour and texture to your dish, add a tbsp of sesame oil and a tbsp of rice vinegar to the sauce. If you’re looking to make it spicier, add a tsp of sriracha sauce too. Similarly, you can add some crunchy vegetables, like stir-fried red pepper and carrots alongside the chicken for extra nutrition.
How to Make Sure Your Chicken in Crispy?
One of the main elements of this dish is CRISPY chicken. There are a few tips and tricks to achieve it without having to resort to deep-frying:
- Don’t be stingy with cornflour.
- Make sure every single bit of chicken is coated in cornflour before it hits the pan.
- Whilst we are shallow frying the chicken in this recipe, make sure the bottom of the pan is fully covered with oil and it is hot before you add the chicken.
- Use a large frying pan, so that the chicken strips are spaced out and have space to crisp up, rather than stew in steam.
- When you’re adding the chicken to the pan, add them bit by bit, ensuring the strips don’t clump together.
- Fry the chicken quickly on high heat. Don’t let is stew and absorb the oil.
- Once cooked, add the chicken to the sauce only long enough to cover it all, don’t let it sit in the sauce for longer than 2 minutes, or you will lose most of the crispiness.
How to Make Honey Chicken?
Cut the chicken breast into strips (about 1 cm thick).
Mix 2-3 tbsp of cornflour with a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Put the chicken in the cornflour and mix well to cover.
Cook rice following instructions on a packet.
Heat 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and fry for approx. 10 minutes until the chicken is golden brown, crispy and cooked through.
In the meantime, make the sauce. Chop up the garlic cloves very finely. Squeeze all the juice from one small orange. Place honey, soy sauce, garlic and juice of an orange in a medium pan on low heat. Stir to combine. Mix the remaining cornflour with two tbsp of water, then add this mixture to your sauce and stir to combine. Heat until the sauce thickens.
Slice the spring onion thinly on the diagonal for the garnish.
Once the chicken is cooked, add it to the sauce and mix to coat the chicken. Serve on a bed of rice with sesame seeds and spring onion scattered on top.
Some of the other Chinese-inspired meals that we simply adore include:
- Chinese-Spiced Beetroot & Sweet Potato Salad
- Tofu Kung Pao
- Crispy Chilli Beef | Home-Made Chinese Take-Away Favourite
Quick & Easy Honey Chicken
- 250 g chicken breast cut into strips
- 3 -4 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 orange
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion sliced
- 180 g long-grain rice
- Mix 2-3 tbsp of cornflour with a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Put the chicken in the cornflour and mix well to cover.
- Cook rice following instructions on a packet.
- Heat 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and fry for approx. 10 minutes until the chicken is golden brown, crispy and cooked through (see tips above on how to get your chicken crispy).
- In the meantime, make the sauce. Place honey, soy sauce, garlic and juice of an orange in a medium pan on low heat. Stir to combine. Mix the remaining cornflour with two tbsp of water, then add this mixture to your sauce and stir to combine. Heat until the sauce thickens.
- Once the chicken in cooked, add it to the sauce and mix to coat the chicken.
- Serve on a bed of rice with sesame seeds and spring onion scaterred on top.