Bored of your traditional cranberry sauce? Mix it up by making our delicious Cranberry Grapefruit Sauce this Christmas! Deliciously tart, sweet and with a subtle note of bitterness, this is a wonderful relish for gammon or turkey! Any leftovers are delicious in brie or turkey sandwiches too!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
You will only need 4 simple ingredients to make this Cranberry Sauce With Grapefruit. And we’re sure it will add heaps of excitement to your festive dinner plate.
- frozen cranberries: can be replaced with fresh cranberries, just cook the sauce for a little less time.
- grapefruit: we will use the juice and a strip of grapefruit zest for this cranberry grapefruit relish. The zest will add a subtle note of bitterness to the sauce, so skip it if you don’t enjoy the bitter flavour of grapefruit.
- brown sugar: we used light brown sugar. You can use dark brown sugar instead, but the colour of the sauce will be a bit muddled.
- rosemary: a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Method: How To Make Cranberry Grapefruit Sauce?
This is an easy cranberry grapefruit relish recipe, and will only require you to place all the ingredients into a pan and cook until the cranberries disintegrate and the sauce thickens. That’s it!
Remove the rosemary sprigs and grapefruit peel before serving. This Cranberry Sauce With Grapefruit can be served warm or cold (note that it will thicken further as it cools).
How To Store Homemade Cranberry Sauce With Grapefruit?
First, leave the Cranberry Grapefruit Sauce to cool down to room temperature. Then spoon it into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 10 days.
This cranberry relish freezes well too. Make sure to freeze it in airtight containers or ziplock bags. Defrost thoroughly before using.
What Does Cranberry Grapefruit Relish Go With?
Cranberry sauce is a go-to choice for turkey, especially at Christmas. And this recipe goes beautifully with it! But if you’re looking for sauce for gammon, this is absolutely perfect too! We serve it with our Grapefruit Glazed Gammon Joint almost every Christmas/ New Year’s Eve!
What To Do With Cranberry Sauce Leftovers?
If you happen to have any Cranberry Grapefruit Relish left, we have a few ideas that you can use it for!
- Make a Brie, Rocket (Arugula), and Cranberry Sandwich.
- Serve it alongside a cheese board! Yes, you heard it right. Cranberry Grapefruit Relish pairs very well with mature cheddar, Manchego, Pecorino and other hard cheeses, as well as goat’s cheese, brie and camembert (try it with our Baked Camembert recipe)!
- Serve it with Swedish Meatballs.
- Swirl this Cranberry Sauce With Grapefruit in a simple vanilla sponge cake batter for a delicious cake!
Other Christmas Recipes That Go With Gammon or Turkey
OK, so you now have a Christmassy sauce for gammon or turkey. What else can you add to your Christmas plate to make it extra special this year?
For a full collection of our festive recipes head to our Christmas Recipe section.
Cranberry Grapefruit Sauce For Gammon or Turkey
- 120 g frozen cranberries
- 120 ml grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- 90 g brown sugar
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- a strip of grapefruit zest optional
- Place all the ingredinets into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook until cranberries disintegrate and the sauce thickens – this will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and grapefruit peel before serving. This Cranberry Grapefruit Sauce can be served warm or cold (note that it will thicken further as it cools).