If you haven’t tried Korean garlic cream cheese bread yet, you absolutely should! It’s only the most decadent garlic bread on the face of the earth! A bread roll is smothered in garlic butter and egg mixture and then stuffed with herby well-seasoned cream cheese! If that’s not enough to entice you, the top is covered with parmesan and then baked until everything is melting inside and the top is wonderfully golden brown and crispy!
- What Is Korean Garlic Bread?
- Ingredients and Substitutes
- Tips & Tricks For Best Results
- What To Serve Korean Garlic Cheese Bread With?
- Other Korean Food Recipes
- Other Cheesy Savoury Bakes
- Recipe Card
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
What Is Korean Garlic Bread?
One of the most popular Korean street food, Cream Cheese Garlic Bread, is popular for a reason! Rolled in garlic butter and egg mixture, then stuffed with lightly sweetened cream cheese filling and baked to perfection, it is truly irresistible! It is garlicky, it is cheesy and it has a slightly unusual (but oh so good) sweetness to it! It is safe to say that this is not your regular garlic bread! It is creamy, it is very filling and it is flavoursome enough to be eaten on its own!
Ingredients and Substitutes
Don’t be put off by a long list of ingredients, some of them repeat through the different elements of this Korean garlic bread. What is more, most of the ingredients, you will likely have in your cupboard or find them available even in your corner shop.
- cream cheese: like Philadelphia, sometimes known as soft cheese. You may choose the reduced-fat option – it works well!
- garlic: you will need quite a bit of garlic for this recipe, so make sure you have at least 5 cloves in your cupboards
- seasoning: caster sugar, salt and black pepper.
- parsley: can be substituted with coriander, if you prefer.
- spring onion: or scallions, can be replaced with finely chopped chives.
- butter: use unsalted, or salted and reduce the amount of salt you add to the filling and butter mixture.
- egg: we use 1 large egg for 4 bread rolls.
- large bread rolls: we used ciabatta, but a burger bun, brioche roll, milk bun or large dinner roll will work great in this recipe too.
- parmesan: optional, but highly recommended for the most decadent garlic cream cheese bread experience.
What Bread Rolls To Use for Korean Garlic Bread?
Whilst classic garlic bread is typically made using a pizza crust or a French baguette, Korean Garlic Bread is slightly different. Here are some bread roll options that you can use:
- Milk bread rolls: These soft, fluffy rolls are a popular choice for Korean garlic bread. They have a slightly sweet flavour that pairs well with the savoury garlic butter and cream cheese mixture.
- Hawaiian rolls: These rolls are also slightly sweet and have a tender crumb that makes them perfect for soaking up the filling. They come in a variety of sizes, so you can choose the right size for your recipe.
- Brioche buns: Brioche is a rich, buttery bread that adds a luxurious touch to Korean garlic bread. The rolls are soft and slightly sweet, with a delicate texture that makes them perfect for this recipe.
- Dinner rolls: If you can’t find any of the above options, a simple dinner roll will also work. Look for rolls that are soft and fluffy, with a tender crumb.
There are a few important steps in this Korean garlic bread recipe, but I can promise you that you will not regret putting in the time and effort! This Korean version is so much better than any traditional garlic bread, trust me!
The Bread Rolls
Cut each bread roll ¾ through (so the bottom is intact) into 8 wedges (see photos below) using a sharp serrated knife.
Preheat the oven to a 180°C Fan. Line a baking tray (ideally with a rim) with baking parchment or aluminium foil.
STEP 1: Make Cream Cheese Filling
Combine cream cheese, garlic, caster sugar, salt, black pepper, parsley and spring onion in a small bowl and mix well.
STEP 2: Make Garlic Butter Sauce
Melt the butter in a small pan and leave it to cool down slightly.
In a separate large bowl, add the slightly cooled melted butter, minced garlic, salt, parsley and an egg and beat well until the ingredients are fully incorporated. This is your garlic butter custard.
STEP 3: Assemble & Bake
Roll each of the prepared bread rolls in the garlic butter mixture, then place them on a baking parchment paper or foil-lined baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, get the remaining creamy garlic sauce in between the cuts.
Divide the cream cheese amongst the bread rolls, spreading the mixture in between the cut wedges and in the middle.
Scatter some parmesan on top of each roll and place them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Leave the garlic cream cheese bread to rest for 5 minutes before eating.
Tips & Tricks For Best Results
- Make sure your bread rolls are fresh and soft: The key to a successful Korean Garlic Cream Cheese Bread is using fresh, soft and fluffy bread buns that are easy to work with. If your rolls are stale or tough, they won’t absorb the garlic butter and cream cheese filling as well, and the finished product won’t be as delicious.
- Use a good quality cream cheese: The cream cheese filling is the star of this recipe, so it’s important to use a good quality product. Look for cream cheese that is smooth and creamy, without any lumps or graininess. It’s also a good idea to let the cream cheese come to room temperature before using it, as this will make it easier to mix and spread.
- Use a pastry brush to apply the garlic butter inside the bread rolls: This will help you to get into all the nooks and crannies of the bread, and ensure that every bite is full of flavour.
- Don’t skimp on the cheese: The cheese is what gives this recipe its rich, creamy flavour, so be sure to use plenty of it! Don’t be afraid to be generous with the amount of cream cheese you use, as it will only make the finished product more delicious.
- Serve the bread warm: these sweet cream cheese-stuffed rolls are best served warm, straight out of the oven. If you’re making it ahead of time, you can reheat it in the oven for a few minutes before serving to ensure that it’s still warm and gooey.
What To Serve Korean Garlic Cheese Bread With?
Garlic bread is normally served as a snack on its own! It is filling and is just the perfect comfort food to snack on. But if you want to incorporate it into a bigger meal, we suggest pairing it with a light salad, like Summery Strawberry Cucumber Salad or Watermelon Feta Salad With Balsamic Reduction.
Alternatively, serve this Korean bread with a soup (although, ideally a non-creamy soup). Something fresh like pea soup, or a simple watercress soup would work great!
Other Korean Food Recipes
We hope you liked this Korean cream cheese garlic bread recipe. If you are a fan of Korean cuisine, you are in a like-minded company! We absolutely love Korean flavour combinations. Here are some of our favourite recipes:
- Vegan Tofu Bulgogi (Korean Marinated Tofu)
- Bokkeumbap | Korean Fried Rice
- Korean Carrot Salad | Perfect BBQ Side Dish
- No-Fuss Vegetarian Bibimbap
Other Cheesy Savoury Bakes
Who doesn’t like melty cheese with bread, right? We certainly do! Hardly any soup or salad in our house is served without some type of cheesy bread. Here are some of our favourites:
Korean Garlic Cream Cheese Bread
For Cream Cheese Filling:
- 160 g cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
For Garlic Butter:
- 100 g butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- 1 egg large
- 4 large bread rolls we used ciabatta rolls
- 10 g parmesan optional
- Cut each bread roll ¾ through (so the bottom is intact) into 8 wedges (see photos in the text above).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan. Line a baking tray (ideally with a rim) with baking parchment or alluminium foil.
Make Cream Cheese Filling:
- Place all the ingredients for the cream cheese filling in a small bowl and mix well.
Make Garlic Butter:
- Melt the butter in a small pan and leave it to cool down slightly.
- In a separate large bowl, add the slightly cooled melted butter, minced garlic, salt, parsley and an egg and beat well until the ingredinets are fully inforporated.
- Roll each of the prepared bread rolls in the butter mixture, then place them on a baking parchment or foil-lined baking tray. Using a pastry brush, get the remaining butter in between the cuts.
- Divide the cream cheese amongst the bread rolls, spreading the mixture in between the cut wedges and in the middle.
- Scatter some parmesan on top of each roll and place them in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Leave the garlic cream cheese bread to rest for 5 minutes before eating.