Sometimes breakfast can make your whole day, right? We certainly think so, especially if you are making a delicious bowl of creamy Banana Porridge to set you up for the day! Filling, naturally sweetened with ripe bananas, and with the extra texture of toasted almonds, this is a simple recipe that only takes minutes to make when you are in a rush to get out the door!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Why Does Banana Porridge Make a Perfect Breakfast?
- Incredibly quick and easy to make.
- Loved by children and adults alike.
- Full of potassium, manganese and fibre.
- What better way to use ripe bananas?
Ingredients and Substitutions
- porridge oats: or old-fashioned, or rolled oats.
- milk: for an extra creamy porridge, use whole milk, but any dairy or non-dairy milk will work. We personally love it with cashew or almond milk.
- banana: use a sweet ripe banana, but not one that’s gone brown and mushy.
- flaked almonds: ideally, toasted. If you have untoasted almonds at home, simply place the flaked almonds in a frying pan on medium heat and toast for a couple of minutes until slightly browned.
- honey: or maple syrup, agave nectar or even a sprinkling of brown sugar.
Combine the porridge oats and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring regularly for 3-4 minutes, until the porridge reaches the desired consistency.
In the meantime, using a fork, mash half of the banana in a small bowl. Slice the rest of the banana.
Once your porridge is done, stir in the mashed banana.
Top the mashed banana porridge with sliced bananas and scatter the toasted almonds on top. Finally, drizzle the top with some honey.
Other Porridge Topping Ideas
Banana oat porridge goes very well with a bunch of different toppings. change it up with some of the following:
- A spoonful of peanut butter and sliced bananas.
- Peanut butter and raspberry jam (Peanut Butter Jelly Style porridge).
- Toasted Desiccated Coconut – yum!
- Candied pecan nuts go exceptionally well with bananas!
- Keep it traditional with fresh blueberries.
It’s really very easy to make this creamy porridge vegan. Use non-dairy milk (we like unsweetened soya, almond or cashew milk, but coconut or oat milk will work great too). Replace the honey with maple syrup, agave nectar or even a sprinkling of light or brown dark sugar.
Because this porridge has mashed banana stirred through it, it is rather creamy, so using water instead of milk is definitely a great option to reduce the calories. What is more, you may choose to skip the honey, and stir some low-calorie sweetener through your porridge instead, or skip the sweetener altogether.
Toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds are a great addition to this porridge. Alternatively, toasted coconut is a great addition!
Other Breakfast Recipes
If you enjoy a good filling breakfast, you are in the right place. Have a look at our other breakfast ideas below:
- Huevos Rancheros | Mexican Breakfast
- Bagels with Asparagus, Poached Eggs and Pistou
- Blueberry Baked Oats | Plant-Based Breakfast
Have More Bananas To Use Up?
We never complain when we have more bananas than we can eat! If you too have some ripe bananas to use up, we have a bunch of delicious recipes for you:
- Vegan Refined Sugar-Free Banana Pancakes
- Salted Caramel Banana Tarte Tatin with Pecans
- Pecan Praline & Banana Parfait
Creamy Banana Porridge
- 50 g porridge oats
- 300 ml milk see options above
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 1-2 tsp honey
- Combine the porridge oats and milk in a samll saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring regularly for 3-4 minutes, until the porridge reaches a desired consistency.
- In the meantime, using a fork, mash half of the banana in a small bowl. Slice the rest of the banana.
- Once your porridge is done, stir in the mashed banana.
- Top the mashed banana porridge with sliced bananas and scatter the toasted almonds on top. Finally, drizzle the top with some honey.