French toast with bacon drizzled with maple syrup is not new! The sweet and salty combination has been here for years (and for a good reason!). But this Savoury French Toast with Bacon recipe is something different: cheesy eggy bread and bacon topped with an egg, all scattered with fresh herbs! It’s a truly savoury breakfast dish that is a great change from traditional French toast!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Breakfast You Will Love
There are two types of people: the ones who like their breakfast sweet and cheerful, and people who like their breakfast filling and savoury and wouldn’t mind having roast duck leg for breakfast given the chance. This breakfast is for savoury breakfast lovers!
Cheese Eggy Bread is fried in butter to perfection, topped with crispy salty bacon and served with an egg for a truly satisfying morning feast! French Toast (or as Seb calls it, eggy bread) and bacon make a great decadent breakfast, fit for a special occasion!
Ingredients and Substitutes
To make this Savoury French Toast With Bacon And Eggs, you won’t need any special equipment, but will ideally have a dish that fits 4 slices of bread (for soaking the bread in the eggy mixture). You will also need two (or three) non-stick frying pans.
As for ingredients, you will need:
- brioche: thickly sliced. Alternatively, use thick-cut white bread, Japanese milk bread or even French baguettes sliced on the diagonal to make this savoury eggy bread.
- eggs: use 1 large egg in the UK (or extra-large in the US) per 2 slices of bread for the soaking. We will also need eggs for the eggy bread topping to go alongside the bacon.
- milk: both dairy and non-dairy milk will work for this French Toast with Cheese, but make sure you use unsweetened milk.
- cheese: almost any strong-tasting hard cheese will work well in this Cheesy Eggy Bread recipe. Choose your favourite type, whether it is Parmesan, Grana Padano, Pecorino, Manchego or Mature Cheddar.
- paprika: we used sweet paprika (not spicy).
- butter, for frying.
- odourless oil, for frying: like vegetable, sunflower or rapeseed oil.
- bacon: streaky or back bacon, smoked or unsmoked – you choose!
Place grated cheese on a large plate.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, turmeric, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Pour the mixture into a large shallow dish and arrange brioche slices in it. Soak for 10-20 seconds on one side, then carefully flip them over and soak again.
Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan (or two) if you don’t have a large enough pan.
Gently lift the slices of brioche and dip them in grated cheese, making sure it sticks.
Place the cheesy slices straight into the frying pans. Cook on medium heat for approx 2. minutes (without fiddling with them), then gently flip the slices over and cook for another 2 minutes.
Whilst Savoury French Toast is frying, fry/grill the bacon to your preferred crispiness (How To Cook Bacon?).
At the same time, fry or poach your eggs (How To Poach An Egg?)
Serve two slices of savoury French toast with bacon and eggs on top! Scatter fresh herbs all over and enjoy!
Other Savoury Eggy Bread Toppings
Oh, the choice is endless! We absolutely love savoury toppings for French toast, and below are some of our favourites:
- Simple Sauteed Mushrooms and Chives (Vegetarian)
- Rocket (Arugula), avocado slices and fried egg (Vegetarian)
- Smoked Salmon and Dill Creme Fraiche (Pescatarian)
Tips for The Best Savoury French Toast
- If you have the time, make the egg and milk mixture the night before and chill it in the fridge overnight. The milk will infuse with the flavours of paprika and turmeric resulting in extra tasty brioche French Toast.
- Do not use fresh bread. Take it out of the packet the night before and leave it to go slightly stale, if you have a fresh loaf.
- Slice the brioche into thick slices. You want them about 2 cm (¾ in), any thinner and they will be too flimsy after soaking in milk and eggs and hard to flip over in the pan.
- Be very gentle when handling soaked brioche. Lift it into a frying pan supporting the slice from underneath. Also, be careful when flipping it over in the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the frying pan. Use two pans, if you don’t have one that’s big enough to fit all the slices with gaps in between.
- Make sure the cheese sticks to the Savoury Eggy Bread before you put it in the pan. The cheese on the surface of the French Toast will crisp up creating a lovely salty crust.
We think that soft-set poached or fried eggs work best in this recipe because the yolk acts as a sauce for the French toast with bacon! However, you can have scrambled eggs too!
Yes! Use thick-cut white sandwich bread, Japanese milk bread or even French baguettes sliced on the diagonal to make this savoury eggy bread.
Both! Use butter for flavour, and oil for colour! I adopt this method all the time when I am looking to caramelise (brown) something in the pan with a touch of decadence!
Other Breakfast Recipes
You can find a bunch more sweet and savoury breakfast ideas in our Breakfast section. Some of our favourite breakfast recipes include:
- Huevos Rancheros | Mexican Breakfast
- Ham & Cheese Frittata
- Vietnamese Omelette With Mushrooms and Spinach
- Bagels with Asparagus, Poached Eggs and Pistou
- Smoked Salmon And Spinach Eggs In Ramekins (Eggs en Cocotte)
Savoury French Toast with Bacon
- 4 thick slices of brioche
- 2 eggs large
- 90 ml milk
- 40 g parmesan or mature Cheddar, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 20 g butter for frying
- 1 tablespoon odourless oil
- fresh thyme, parsley or chives
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 2 eggs
- Place grated cheese on a large plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, turmeric, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Pur the mixture in a large shallow dish and arrange brioche slices in it. Soak for 10-20 seconds on one side, then carefully flip them over and soak again.
- Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan (or two) if you don't have a large enough pan.
- Gently lift the slices of brioche and dip them in grated cheese, making sure it sticks, and place the cheesy slices straight into the frying pans. Cook on medium heat for approx 2. minutes (without fiddling with them), then gently flip the slices over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Whilst Savoury French Toast is frying, fry/grill the bacon to your preferred crispiness (How To Cook Bacon?).
- At the same time, fry or poach your eggs (How To Poach An Egg?)
- Serve two slices of savoury french toast with bacon and eggs on top! Scatter fresh herbs all over and enjoy!