A perfect breakfast dish for spicy food lovers! A wonderful egg-free breakfast served on crusty toasted bread and a side of tomatoes and greens is a wholesome and substantial meal to get your day started the right way! Rich in protein (in case anyone asks where you get your protein from?) and ready to eat in 15 minutes, our Vegan Scrambled Eggs is a great way to spice up your breakfast routine!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Having spicy tofu scramble for breakfast may sound like an unconventional choice for some of us. However, when we look at various cultures and their breakfast traditions, very few cultures (mainly Western) have a tendency to have something sweet like pancakes, porridge with maple syrup or pop tarts for breakfast.
In Asia, you will find people eating savoury rice and lentil dishes for breakfast. In the Caribbean, it’s soup and crab curries, and here in the UK, some love nothing better than a fishy Kedgeree. As far as we’re concerned, there should be no rules as to what to have for breakfast, as long as it’s delicious!
What Our Vegan Scrambled Eggs Taste Like?
We used a spicy jerk chilli paste to flavour our spicy tofu scramble this morning. It’s a wonderfully spicy and fragrant paste, that has onion, garlic, chillies and various spices, like ginger, coriander and cinnamon. However, we’ve tried using other pastes, like harissa, madras curry paste and even sriracha sauce. It all works – just use whatever tickles your fancy!
Method: How To Make Spicy Tofu Scramble?
Drain tofu and firmly dab it with a clean tea towel to remove any excess moisture. We love using the firm Cauldron Organic Tofu or The Tofoo Co Naked Extra Firm. Silken tofu will not work in this Vegan Scrambled Egg Recipe.
Prepare all of your ingredients first. Finely slice the shallots, roughly chop the coriander and halve the tomatoes ready to go.
Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil (or any other odourless oil) in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften. You can use a small red onion instead, but it will take longer to cook.
Add the tofu, crumbling it into small pieces with your fingers. Mix and then add chilli paste and cook stirring for 5 minutes. Depending on your spice tolerance you might want to adjust the quantity of paste you’re using. It will also highly depend on the type and brand of chilli paste, so taste before adding more.
For the last minute of cooking, add the halved tomatoes to just soften slightly. Then take off the heat and mix in the chopped coriander.
Serve the spicy tofu scramble on a piece of crusty bread with a handful of spinach or rocket and a dollop of yoghurt or vegan cream cheese. It really helps to balance off the heat of jerk seasoning!
Other Tofu Recipes
We love cooking with tofu! It’s a wonderful ingredient that you can flavour with anything you wish! Have a look at our other tofu recipes:
Other Vegan Breakfast Ideas
If Scrambled Tofu on Toast doesn’t float your boat, have a look at some of our other plant-based breakfast recipes below:
Spicy Tofu Scramble | Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- 240 g firm tofu crumbled
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp spicy jerk chilli paste or harissa, chipotle or your favourite curry paste
- 4 cherry tomatoes halved
- 5 g fresh coriander roughly chopped, including stalks
- 20 g spinach or rocket to serve
- 2 slices of crusty bread to serve
- 2 tbsp unsweetened dairy-free yogurt to serve
- Drain tofu and firmly dab it with a clean tea towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a frying pan. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the tofu, crumbling it into small pieces with your fingers. Mix quickly, add chilli paste and cook stirring for 5 minutes. For the last minute of cooking, add the halved tomatoes to just soften slightly. Then take off the heat and mix in chopped coriander.
- Serve the spicy tofu scramble on a piece of crusty bread with a handful of spinach or rocket and a dollop of yoghurt or vegan cream cheese.