If you enjoy avocado on toast, this recipe is for you! A simple Egg Bagel recipe is made absolutely fantastic with the addition of avocado in the form of breakfast guacamole that is used to spread on lightly toasted bagels that are then topped with a fried egg! Delicious, filling and easy to make, these may become a firm favourite of your family too!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost for you! Thank you!
Ingredients And Substitutes
- bagels: shop-bought, sesame or plain, or make your own! We highly recommend trying our Sourdough Bagels.
- eggs: we like our egg bagels with fried eggs, but they work with scrambled eggs too!
- rocket or spinach: optional, but recommended.
- avocado: ripe and ready! If you can, get Haas avocado – it makes the best guacamole.
- lime: juice only. Freshly squeezed juice tastes better, but you can use bottled juice too.
- cherry tomatoes: can be substituted with other types of tomatoes.
- red onion: can be replaced with shallots or spring onion, or omitted altogether if you really don’t like the idea of onion at breakfast (we personally don’t mind!).
- coriander (cilantro): leaves and stalks finely chopped.
- dried chilli flakes: or ¼ of red chilli, finely chopped.
- garlic powder: is less ferocious than fresh minced garlic, so a small amount of it is perfect for a breakfast dish.
- salt: we adore Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.
How To Make Breakfast Guacamole?
Make breakfast guacamole first. Peel and destone the avocado, then squeeze the lime juice over it and mash it with a fork, keeping some bits for texture.
Add the tomatoes, red onion, coriander, garlic powder, salt and chilli and mix well.
For more information on the guacamole element of the dish, visit our dedicated post about Breakfast Guacamole.
Fry The Eggs
If you’re using a non-stick pan, there is no need to add any butter or oil to fry your eggs. But if you’re not, make sure to wait until your choice of fat is hot before cracking the eggs in.
We recommend sunny-side-down eggs (but with the yolk still slightly runny) for this egg bagel recipe. It makes it easier to assemble and less messy to eat!
Whilst your eggs are frying, cut your bagels in half and lightly toast them. Spread the guacamole on the bottom half of the bagel. Top it with the fried egg and place a handful of rocket (arugula) or spinach (if using) on top. Cover with the top half of the bagel and enjoy!
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Don’t you just love how a good recipe can set you up for a wonderful day? Here are some recipes that can do just that:
- Smoked Salmon And Spinach Eggs In Ramekins (Eggs en Cocotte)
- Healthy Veggie Shakshuka
- Sugar-Free Granola Recipe With Egg White
Breakfast Egg Bagel Recipe With Avocado
- 2 bagels
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado ripe
- ½ lime juice only
- 8 cherry tomatoes finely chopped
- ⅛ red onion finely chopped
- 5 g coriander finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes or ¼ of red chilli, finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 handful rocket or spinach optional
- Make a breakfast guacamole first. Peel and destone the avocado, then squeeze the lime juice over it and mash it with a fork, keeping some bits for texture.
- Add the tomatoes, red onion, coriander, garlic powder, salt and chilli and mix well.
- Fry the eggs. We recommend sunny-side down eggs, so that the bagel sandwiches are less messy to it 🙂
- In the meantime, cut the bagels in half and toast them lightly.
- Spread the guacamole on the bottom half of the bagel. Top it with the fried egg and place a handful of rocket or spinach (if using) on top. Cover with the top half of the bagel and enjoy!